I heard the news today, oh boy

from Michael O'Neill - Tuesday March 6

A post & response from a forum

Posted by One12:


The subject title basically explains it all. I'm expecting plenty of hateful comments from the majority of you, but there's gotta be at least one person who's willing to offer me some sort of advice. Well now I'll proceed with my story. My mom, dad, and I came to the US on March 15, 1998. So that's over 8 years of living here illegally... and frankly, it's starting to get on my nerves.

I have family here that IS legal. It is through their "help" that we're able to survive here. Although someone told me that they could have helped us become legal citezens of the US, but now it's too late? I don't know. But if that was the case, THAT would've been really helpful.

Hmm yeah. So I am now in the 9th grade, and I can't help but wonder what my future will hold for me. Not much, from what I can see so far. If I keep living as an illegal immigrant, there will be no doors open for me. And even now, me and my family are unable to get health care due to our illegal status... Is there anything my family and I can do to become legal citizens of the US? Any sort of advice will be greatly appreciated. Despite me sounding totally fine with this lifestyle I am living, I'm not. It's tearing me up inside out to see my folks this worried... worn down scary worried. Thanks.

Posted by AmericanProud:


dear One12 ntfd...(Not Too F-in' Dumb?)....we (the American taxpayers) cannot afford to dole out free medical care to every $hitbag illegal Mexican....send the bill to Teddy Kennedy....he loves illegals sooooo much he will pay their way.

why do we need another border-jumping visa cheat? Ship ther sorry irresponsible behinds back to Mexico....you and your parents obviously has NO respect for the laws of any country--just more pond scum.

It might not be possible to win against the Minimen, yet once again, in this sorry legislature. We must still try. We still have to get to Jay & Romaine in large numbers to change their votes [ on IL 1022 see note below ]

They have said they will vote for the bill, but the testimony at the legislature this afternoon was encouraging. Please email your friends, ask them to call, write, telephone, and fax them both, once for themselves and once again, for within their self, for at least one of their immigrant forebears who felt torn up inside out, (as my hero One12 said,) enduring and fighting the very same fear, disdain, contemptuous sneering and closed doors that greet Latino immigrants today.

Our forebears worked with their hands, with their backs, hard for us that we, family they scarcely imagined, let alone would ever see, might find peace and safety and respect and freedom.

Tell Jay and Ed that these petty, itsy, bitsy, rinky-dinky, teensy, meanie pin pricks like IR1022, the proposed law against Standing While Latino on the side of a county road soliciting work is sorely unworthy of them, but shocking behavior they would never expect or accept from their own grade school children.

This disregard and affront to all Hispanics certainly has to stop and they should find the moral and political strength to say enough, basta, no mas to Levy & all the petty, itty, bitty, teeny, meany, weeny, pricks in the legislature pandering to racist bias and prejudice for the cheapest political advantage. --mo
______________________________

Jay.Schneiderman@suffolkcountyny. gov
75 Washington Street
PO Box 1827
Sag Harbor, NY 11963

Phone: 852-8400
Fax: 852-8404
_____________________________

Edward.Romaine@suffolkcountyny. gov
423 Griffing Avenue, Suite 2
Riverhead, NY 11901

Phone: 852·3200
Fax: 852·3203

_______________________________________________

Note:

Introductory Res. 1022 as amended is available at

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/legis/resos2007/i1022-07.htm

The amended resolution still prohibits immigrant workers from standing along county roads, but only if they're obstructing traffic. It also bars motorists from stopping to negotiate hiring terms with workers.

Violators would face a fine of up to $500 for a first offense and $750 for a second offense within six months of the first. A third offense within a 12-month period could garner a $1,000 fine and up to a year in jail.