This event will include a rally and press conference, and it will provide an opportunity for you to make your voice heard.
If you want to speak, go to the Legislative Building at the county complex in Hauppauge at 9AM on December 2. You should sign a card indicating that you want to speak at the "Public Portion" (not the "Hearing"). You will then be assigned a number and cards are called beginning after 9:30AM. You will have three minutes to speak. Generally legislators will not comment and will not answer questions, just (hopefully) listen.
If you go to the legislature on Tuesday, please make the following points in your statement:
1) End the cynical rhetoric demonizing immigrants;Other Suggestions:
2) Stop introducing legislation that results in profiling immigrants;
3) Create a 5-year plan to improve how we integrate immigrants coming
into Suffolk County.
- We want an end to anti-immigrant legislation. It does not address
Suffolk's real problems and it just stirs up resentments.
- Stop campaigning by scapegoating immigrants.
- County Exec. Levy says he is creating a liason between the Latino
community and the police. Ask the20legislators to make sure that the
person appointed is accountable to Latino victims.
- The Legislature must hold a hearing to look into the dramatic 93% drop in reported hate crimes against Latinos since Levy took office. Is anti-Latino bias really going down, or are hate crimes not being reported or are they miscategorized?
Here is the Legislature's address
725 Veterans Memorial Highway
William H. Rogers Building
Smithtown, NY 11787-4311
Telephone: (631) 853-4070