Message from your congressman

The following is an excerpt of a letter sent by Congressman Tim Bishop in answer to one of his 1st C.D. constituents:


I have consistently voted to keep our troops well-armed and supplied throughout our fight against terrorists in Afghanistan and elsewhere. I have voted to continue operations in Iraq with strategic benchmarks and oversight. And I have consistently voted to raise the standard of medical care for our active duty personnel and veterans.

But after years of failure and diversion from our primary mission, it is time for a change in strategy. I stand with the majority of Americans and the majority of those in my district who believe that giving the President another blank check to recklessly continue pursuing a failed policy is unconscionable.

Consequently, I voted against the latest emergency war supplement funding bill (HR 2206). I believe it only extends this nation's greatest foreign policy disaster. Simply put, it is long past time for our involvement in this tragic episode to come to an end.

The Iraqi people are the only ones that can bring a peaceful conclusion to this war. It is unfair to ask our troops and their families to continue to sacrifice while Iraqi leaders have done so little to achieve the political and security goals asked of them. Therefore, it is imperative that we begin the gradual redeployment of troops as soon as possible to protect their lives and ensure the safety of America. Our troops continue to make America very proud while serving in harm's way. They deserve a better strategy than this Administration has proposed thus far. In the months to come, I will continue working with my colleagues in Congress to pressure the President to change his failed course in Iraq and bring his misguided war to an end.

Thank you again for sharing your views. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Mr. Bishop's email is tim.bishop@mail.house.gov